Pages

13 September 2014

Swans and a wagtail






 Matalajärvi / Grundträsk, Espoo 18.7.2014.

Lake Matalajärvi (= shallow lake) is a well
known bird lake. Birds stop to eat and rest
here especially during migration. Matalajärvi
was recently made a part of Nuuksio National
Park even if it's apart from the rest of the area.

The whooper swans with their two cygnets
were too far away for me to get a good 
photo of them, but I'm showing them anyway
because they're Finland's national bird.

The wagtail was resting on a tree branch
next to the birdtower.

I'm linking to
Scenic Weekends
I'd Rather B Birdin'



23 comments:

  1. Fantastic swans but where do the live in the winter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gosia! Some swans stay in Finland if they can find open water and the winter isn't too cold. Others migrate to Southern Sweden, the Danish Straits or the North Sea coasts.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful "shallow lake" and I love the serene atmosphere♡♡♡

    Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful lake and gorgeous swans

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think we have wagtails but I like their name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! It describes them perfectly. :-)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful shots of the scenic lake and swans. Cute little wagtail.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did not know that about the swan being your national bird. A perfect bird for a perfect country.....love the lake name and the fact it's used for migration.

    thanks for linking in this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's always nice to see graceful swans, even in the distance, and these are lovely images Gunilla. I have always found it difficult to photograph Wagtails, they run so fast, and are quite shy where I live, but this one was so abliging,..good shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! Wagtails don't much care to pose. :-)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I will return your visit (if I haven't visited you already), but please be patient. I might not be able to do so until the weekend. Take care!